1. Has each user completed the requisite E-Verify
2. Are the relevant posters drafted in English and
Spanish, and displayed in plain view at all hiring
3. Does the program administrator regularly
review and update users' information and
terminate users' access once they no longer use
the system and/or work for the employer?
Creating a Case
1. Is the Form I-9 completed before creating a case
2. Is a new case created for all newly hired
employees no later than the third business day
after the employee starts work?
3. Is all personally identifiable information
1. Are the required copies of documents
2. Does the user compare the photo displayed
by E-Verify to the photo presented by the
Tentative Nonconfirmation (TNC)
1. Does the user print the TNC notice and
privately review it with the employee?
2. Do both the user and employee sign the TNC
3. Does the user periodically check to ensure all
TNCs have been contested or not contested?
4. Is the original signed TNC notice kept on file?
5. Does the user choose the correct case closure
1. Does the user promptly print the referral letter?
2. Does the user review the referral letter with the
employee in private?
3. Do both the user and employee sign the referral
4. Is the original signed referral letter kept on file?
5. Does the user correctly choose the correct
Final Case Resolution
1. Does the user review the case status for those
with pending cases before the Department
of Homeland Security or Social Security
2. Does the user check E-Verify periodically for
3. Does the user close all cases using the
correct case closure statement once a Final
Nonconfirmation is received?
Final Case Closure
1. Does the user close every case created in
2. Does the user select the appropriate case closure
Other Common Issues
1. Have any E-Verify cases been created for
employees hired before November 7, 1986?
2. Have any employees been immediately
terminated after receiving a TNC?
3. Were cases created for employees hired prior to
4. Were relevant acceptable documents reviewed
and, if applicable, were copies maintained?
S EPTEMBER/ O CTOBER 2013